Dec 10, 2010

kitchen mosaic

The kitchen as seen from the living room.
The kitchen is getting to the point where it's just detail stuff now.  Of course, the stove needs to be put in and the plumbing hooked up, but those are jobs for next summer.

The room itself is small and quite narrow.  You can see most of it in the photo above.  To the right, behind the arch is another two feet of width, just enough for a small table and some chairs.  The walls you can't see (behind the arch and to the right) are covered with a lovely lime plaster (my father's work).  The wall to the left is painted (to match the plaster) drywall and the far wall is exposed burnt adobe. 

The burnt adobe is nice and I decided to leave it exposed.  The one thing I don't like about that wall is the ugly concrete bondbeam above the adobe.  I plan to put up a shelf/opencabinet for dry goods stored in canning jars, but it will be small and the bondbeam will still show.

So, what to do to make it pretty?   Since I have covered so many other sins in the cabin with tiles, why not this too?  I have decided to do a mosaic, but it's going to be a subtle one.  The room is dark and I don't I don't want to have so many things going on on the walls that the eye is frantically finding a place to rest. 

At this point, I think I'll create a night scene (not sure what yet) and have some ghost dogs running.  Darwin will be there for sure (see previous post) and maybe Simba, my sister's dog.  Updates will follow!  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment