Aug 4, 2010

Who is The Ghost Dog?

Darwin's first day at home

Seventeen years ago, I adopted a tiny puppy from the shelter. I didn't want a big dog, and this guy fit into my cupped hands; I thought he would stay small.  Well, he must have been taken to the shelter with his sisters at the earliest possible time; he may have been barely five weeks old.  In any case, Darwin (the best dog on earth!), grew into a lanky, but muscular, very handsome fellow.  Based on his physical and personality characteristics, my husband and I deduced he must have been a basenji/shepherd mix.

Darwin was an amazing dog. I could spend hours describing his talents, intelligence and personality; just take my word for it, he was a one in a billion dog.  I know everyone says their dog is special, but even non-dog lovers were struck by Darwin's intelligence and his presence.  My sister described him as "creepy smart."  He had an extra dose of charisma that could not be ignored.

Happy days with Darwin

About five years ago, Darwin went blind over a period of three to five days.  He was diagnosed with SARDS - untreatable.  For a sight hound (like a basenji), the loss of sight was devastating to his world.  It was heart wrenching to see him trying to understand and cope with his new world, but failing again and again.  Perhaps if he were younger, it would have been easier.  His frustrations were vented in a variety of ways, but the most difficult was Darwin's new obsession with chocolate.  After one last, horrible bout with desserts, he died November 1, 2007.  Almost Dia de los Muertos, how fitting.

The orchard was named for Darwin (my ghost dog, the best ghost dog on earth!) because he is there with the trees.  The roots of each apple, pear, peach, cherry and plum were dusted with his ashes when they were planted.  So, some of him is alive again, part of each stem and leaf.  Each time I visit and tend my trees, I am visiting Darwin.  Each time a tree does something contrary or something spectacular, I am reminded of Darwin who did both with regularity.

No comments:

Post a Comment