Mar 22, 2013

garden hightlights 2012


We're moving into spring and I'm always hopeful for the new year. Last year (2012) was difficult because of the massive fire (see previous post) and the following dry summer.  We had problems with the old well (as usual) with the new issue of ash and fine sediments plugging the pump.  As a result, the orchard was without water for most of the summer and fall.  In spite of this, the remaining trees did remarkably well.  Some of them are absolutely thriving.  And then, there are the happy surprises.

I've included a slide-show of some of the highlights of the 2012: 

The young apple and pear trees were full of blossoms a year ago.  Sadly, no bees around the week of bloom.  A few apples bloomed in 2011 and 2012 was the second year for the pears.  The pear trees are still tiny (less than 4') but for their size, they pop with blooms.  Last year we had our first apples.  Tiny, but sweet and with an apple times ten flavor.  Most of the apples are for cider, but these were eating apples and that's just what I did!

One of the happy surprises was an antique rose of unknown vintage growing gangbusters without any water all year.  The original cutting is from the ditchbank at my Mom's house in Los Lunas. This is one of those floppy, hot pink roses and the original plants are about 100 years old. They have a lovely strong rose scent and bloom only once in the spring - Mother's Day week without fail. This plant represents my only successfully rooted rose cutting. The little fellow is planted on the north side of the orchard wall, and having less solar radiation and water loss is probably the key to survival.  I'm very happy that this plant has accepted it's new home.

Along the lines of trees, I've planted various herbs, native wildlflowers and grasses.  My favorite flowers are the red and blue salvias.  The plants were from Plants of the Southwest in Albuquerque and did remarkably well considering they didn't have water during the hottest part of the year.  By accident, I managed to do all the things to plants a desert gardener is not supposed to do!  In spite of this, the salvias keep blooming - I'll be buying more because they are fantastic with the herbs and eyelash grass.

My last image shows the lavender 'hedge' about 3 years in.  Considering that these plants started as 6" cuttings from IL, they look really good.  I have two lines of lavender between lines of trees and once I get rid of the weeds, the orchard will look very nice.  I'm considering planting another line of lavender, but because of the success of the salvias, I may put in a solid line of salvias instead (for the hummingbirds).

An upcoming post will outline the plans for the garden this year.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment