Oct 15, 2011

Thank goodness for big trash day!

(
Looking so much better!
In our little town, we have what we call Big Trash Day.  Twice a year, residents place all their large items out on the curb for the garbage guys to pick up.  A substantial portion of the population cruises through the streets looking for treasures or items to recycle for money.  I can't begin to tell you how many wonderful items I've found (for instance a perfect, unused quilting frame).

Last year, I found a great chandelier.  Ok, it was pretty hideous, but I knew it had potential.  The original paint was white with gold specks; as you can see in the photo above, the only ornamentation is the metal flowers on top.  I thought if I spray painted it matte black and added a bit of color & sparkle, it would be a great addition to the kitchen. 

After the paint job, the chandelier now looks just like wrought iron, which fits well with the style of the cabin. I rewired it for safety (always a good idea with old lamps) and tested for function (it works!).

I will wire the beaded flowers onto the front of the metal ones and add a few blue beads here and there for a trace of zing.  Because I don't like light bulbs glaring out without shades, I've made some metal 'petals' to attach around the rim of each lamp.

A future post will show attachment of the petal shades and installation in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment